Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Evolution of Golf Equipment

While cleaning out the garage recently, I took a few moments to organize all the golf clubs that no longer make the bag. It is tough to part with this golf equipment that reminds me of great shots and different times. As the golf sets and clubs were spread out along the wall, it was clear that golf equipment has evolved. My golfing career has been relatively short, now approaching twenty years. However, within that time frame there have been more innovations and dramatic changes to golf club sets and golf clubs.

The first golf club that drew my eye and attention was an old metal wood with a short steel shaft and tour wrap grip. As I lifted the golf club and positioned my hands to grip for a swing I immediately felt a heavy and awkward head weight. With a few practice swings the golf club almost felt like there was a warm up weight around the end of the shaft. The suspense was too much as I lifted the tiny club head to see what piece of my golfing history this was. I was truly shocked to see that this short and small headed golf club was a driver! It was no less than a Biggest Big Bertha made by Callaway Golf, which was considered in the late nineties to be a gigantic golf club. I thought for sure I was swinging an older 3 wood or even a 5 wood!

As I scanned the other clubs another piece of equipment caught my eye, an older Wilson Golf R90 sand wedge. It is a unique piece of golf equipment both in the look and the technical design. The golf club was very popular because it has a huge amount of bounce making it very easy to blast the ball out of sand traps. The most interesting fact about the club is that the steel shaft is painted brown. This was common practice when steel shafts were first introduced. The golfing public was not very accepting of the innovation that replaced the wooden shafts. Wilson and other manufacturers eased the transition by painting the steel shafts brown to resemble a wooden look. This club helped me out of countless bunkers when I first learned to play golf. It also reminds me that innovations in golf equipment are happening faster now, as it took over a hundred years to make shafts out of steel and fifty more to make club heads out of metal. Since that moment around twenty years ago golf equipment innovation has exploded.

Recent changes are evident when looking at the golf club sets that I used when beginning to play golf competitively. As a high school golfer I was scoring in the seventies and spent much of my money on the newest golf equipment available. In the bag was a metal head driver with a graphite shaft, a persimmon 3 wood, a golf set of Wilson Staff irons including a one iron, the sand wedge mentioned, and a Ping putter. Though I currently play as a scratch golfer, my golf club set is completely evolved and now I take full advantage of the technology available. From the 460cc alloy driver to the hybrid woods, the golf equipment is very different. Though I claim to be a traditionalist, I have to confess that I like to hit great golf shots and this modern golf equipment helps me achieve it.

Colleen Lilly is an avid golfer with a passion for excellence. She is the author of the Golf Master Ebook [http://proficient-golf-play.info] "Hit the greens like a seasoned pro, Become a Golf Master!" Colleen is a blogger who writes about transformational energy healing. Healing the Mind Body and Soul. Healing yourself begins the healing of the world, one person at a time. Follow Colleen's Transformational blog at http://www.yourmindbodyandsoul123.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Colleen_Lilly

No comments:

Post a Comment